Hi-VNI Technology – Effective and Gentle Ventilatory Support
Vapotherm Hi-VNI Technology offers a viable alternative to mask therapies (CPAP, NIPPV) for patients in respiratory distress with a simple nasal cannula.
First Line Therapy
Powerful tool in the management of the signs and symptoms of respiratory distress, including hypercapnia, hypoxia and dyspnea. Vapotherm Hi-VNI Technology, an advanced form of high flow nasal cannula (HFNC), offers many patients a viable alternative to pressure-based mask therapies (CPAP, NIPPV) with safety and comfort like basic oxygen therapy through a nasal cannula.
Vapotherm HI-VNI Technology facilitates oxygenation and alveolar ventilation by flushing the upper airway (or anatomical dead space) of end expiratory gas high in CO2, replacing it with optimally conditioned oxygenated gas.
The high velocity and flow rates create mild distending pressure based on the flow rate used and the patient’s anatomy. This dynamic pressure is created as the patient exhales against the incoming flow. The open system created by the small bore cannula allows gas to exit the nares.
1. Saslow JG, Aghai ZH, Nakhla TA, et al. Work of breathing using high-flow nasal cannula in preterm infants. J Perinatol 2006;26:476-80.
2. Pyon KH, Aghai ZH, Nakhla TA, Stahl GE, Saslow JG. High Flow Nasal Cannula in Preterm Infants: Effects of High Flow Rates on Work of Breathing. PAS 2008;63:3763.13
3. Spence KL, Murphy D, Kilian C, McGonigle R, Kilani RA. High-flow nasal cannula as a device to provide continuous positive airway pressure in infants. J Perinatol 2007;27:772- 5.
4. Wilkinson DJ, Andersen CC, Smith K, Holberton J. Pharyngeal pressure with high-flow nasal cannulae in premature infants. J Perinatol 2008;28:42-7.
5. Kubicka ZJ, Limauro J, Darnall RA. Heated, humidified high-flow nasal cannula therapy: yet another way to deliver continuous positive airway pressure? Pediatrics 2008;121:82-8.
6. Lampland AL, Plumm B, Meyers PA, Worwa CT, Mammel MC. Observational study of humidified high-flow nasal cannula compared with nasal continuous positive airway
High velocity gas is easily tolerated because the breathing gas is optimally heated and humidified before delivery. It is delivered through a water jacket insulated delivery tube that assures the humidity does not condense into water droplets as it travels to the patient. The loose fitting small bore prong of the nasal cannula assures flush and minimizes the material on the patient’s face.
High humidity mobilizes secretions to open congested airways. Because therapy is delivered through a simple nasal cannula, the patient can cough to remove secretions without risk of aspirations.
Over 1 Million Patients Treated
Vapotherm Hi-VNI Technology is a powerful tool to provide gentle and effective respiratory support for the signs and symptoms of respiratory distress in patients in all age groups and throughout the hospital continuum of care.
Hi-VNI Technology is a highly effective tool as patients easily tolerate the nasal cannula interface that allows them to talk, eat and take their meds while on therapy. Historically, many of these patients would be placed on more invasive pressure based therapies, which makes these fundamental activities difficult, causing anxiety, agitation and general intolerance. Patients on more invasive therapies, often need to be sedated or even restrained to prevent them from removing their mask or tube.
High Quality of Care and Lower Costs
Hi-VNi Technology is a respiratory solution that supports the clinical and economic objectives of today's acute care facilities. Its use avoids more invasive interventions and reduces the work of health care providers, and may allow patients to be placed in lower acuity of care areas of the hospital and reduce length of stay.
Fast and Easy
- Single use patient circuit avoids complex disinfection
- Less than 5 minutes to set-up, prime and heat
- Single push button knob precisely and individually control flow, FiO2 and temperature
- Clinician-friendly patient alarms